NameWiz Stopped Working

With NameWiz, you can rename files en-masse in either a single folder or all sub folders. Change the file extension, make all names lower/upper case, replace, remove, insert, delete, move or swap characters, add prefixes and suffixes, or replace the names altogether with sequential names of your choosing.
aeikenberry

NameWiz Stopped Working

Post by aeikenberry »

Hello. After a recent uninstall/reinstall on Windows 7, NameWiz 4.11 will start up, but then immediately stop working, before anything can be pressed.

If you cancel the 'stopped working' dialog, the following error appears:

Exception ERegistry Exception in module NameWiz.exe at 00019A3E. Failed to set data for ''.

I have tried everything I can think of to remedy, but nothing has done it. Please advise.
Support
Site Admin

Re: NameWiz Stopped Working

Post by Support »

Run it as "Administrator" (right click, "Run as administrator") and it should work. It happens rarely, and we think it's Win7 security settings and/or anti-virus related. You can also try to disable DEP.
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
rbos

Post by rbos »

Hello,

I am also seeing this problem on several machines recently updated to Windows 7. Running as administrator works, but is extremely not acceptable for the temporary staff.

Please advise.
pszilard

Post by pszilard »

Support wrote:Run it as "Administrator" (right click, "Run as administrator") and it should work. It happens rarely, and we think it's Win7 security settings and/or anti-virus related. You can also try to disable DEP.
I am experiencing the same proble. Except neither running as Administrator, nor running in XP Compatibility, mode works. This means that the program is totally unusable!

I would love to hear how to fix this, ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

The only solution we have found is, turn on/off DEP, or check your anti-virus, Norton is known to create this problem. There is something else which interfer with NW, and it is not something we can fix if the problem is now directly from NW.
Your support team.
pszilard

Post by pszilard »

Turning off DEP worked for me.

AV had no effect and neither did UAC.

As no other program seems to have this problem, I can only suppose that a programming change must be possible to make NameWiz work with DEP. Perhaps seeking advise from Microsoft might help. I would really encourage the developers to make this fix, as it is a major distraction from an otherwise excellent and unique tool.

Cheers,
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

I know what you mean, but for another user, he had to turn on DEP for it to work, just the opposite of you, so this makes it very difficult to know what's going on, let alone fixing it.
Your support team.
pszilard

Post by pszilard »

All the more reason to fix it! Anyway, I will leave it it your hands, but don't let your tool fall into disrepute! Good luck, my friend.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Indeed ;)
Your support team.
brough

Post by brough »

I too have this problem. One moment it was working just as it has done for years, next error message. See image.

Tried everything. Rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled twice, downloaded fresh copy and tried again, updated Windows 7 and tried again. Nada. Broken.

Not prepared to try the suggestion of turning off security. Could try running in Admin mode but it would be very boring to have to do that each time. I usually run the program via a batch file.
Attachments
Namewiz-errror.jpg
Namewiz-errror.jpg (86.75 KiB) Viewed 36042 times
brough

Post by brough »

I must add that this first occurred, I think, after I visited a site which left an iSeek popup behind, one of the worst browser toolbar virus-type apps I've ever had the misfortune to encounter. I closed it immediately, and ran Malwarebytes. No indication of infection.
brough

Post by brough »

I did this:
To set the program to run as administrator in Windows 7:

Right click on the program shortcut.
Choose "Properties."
Click on the "Compatibility" tab.
Place check mark in the box labeled "Run this program as an administrator."
Click OK.

The program should now run properly.

And it works!