Found an error in the timer this morning, and laughed.

Raylectron (https://Raylectron.com) is a 3D rendering engine for Trimble Sketchup (https://sketchup.com)
Dknight

Found an error in the timer this morning, and laughed.

Post by Dknight »

Friday, I set up a render and figured I'd remote in and shut it down after I got home. Well i totally forgot about it...
This morning when i got into work, it was -still- going. lol.

Well it occurred to me that your timer stops at 23 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds. I'm sure it effects nothing at all, but i thought i'd let you know :P

For fun, attached.
9,455 samples, 370,780 faces, 19 lights (though i'm pretty sure i disabled the ones in the ceiling for this rendering).

:arrow: One additional question: I saved "The Render Data" - what does this do for me exactly? seemed like a good idea after running near 60 hours. lol.

Under Porch Image small.jpg
Under Porch Image small.jpg (217.78 KiB) Viewed 42490 times
Support
Site Admin

Re: Found an error in the timer this morning, and laughed.

Post by Support »

Wow, this look really nice! Thanks for sharing.

We'll have to fix the timer. :oops:

The "Save render data" is so that you can close Raylectron and re-open the render data later (or on another machine) and resume the render. As long as the model did not change. So if your render is already going for 2 hours and you need to reboot for example, you can stop the render, save the data, close Raylectron, reboot, start Raylectron, open the mode, re-load the data, and resume the render from where it left off.

Raylectron is a progressive render, and will keep on going forever until you stop it. But, it comes a time when it shows no visible differences, for example, if you let it run for 60 hours or 120 hours, both will look the same to the human eye. But this depend on how much direct light the overall model gets. Shadows will always take longer, especially really dark places, like under a bed.

I really like your work. The only observation I have is the cushion on the chair and the sofa. I think the Sketchup "Soften" was used too much to try to make it round, that's why you have those dark areas, and maybe ther windows transparency should be like 100% or 99% to make them more reflective? But that's a matter of taste. Beside that, it's beautiful, nice work. Did you use the default settings for the sun/sky color and intensity?
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

Hey thanks for the reply.

Currently the glass is set to .98% transparency. I can boot it to 100%.

Attached are screens of all those settings. The sofa (ironically) i did not model. I found it on google warehouse, and used it as is. It sorta fix the bill. The plants, pot. and rockers i found too. I just touched up the materials.

I do have 1 questions since you mentioned it. As you see, I've updated the shingles on the wall and they look alot better now... However the glass has white specs in it... How long (or should i ask - how many samples) does it take for those to disappear?
in progress render
in progress render
in progress.jpg (251.97 KiB) Viewed 42484 times
still love the program! use it for kicks every now and then :P and for kicks, here is an in-construction picture of that porch looking towards the camera (don't have any looking the way i rendered it unfortunately).
during construction
during construction
DSC01119 - revised color.jpg (177.54 KiB) Viewed 42484 times
Attachments
Sun settings
Sun settings
sunsetting.jpg (66.35 KiB) Viewed 42484 times
Lighting Settings
Lighting Settings
lighting.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 42484 times
Glass Settings
Glass Settings
glass.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 42484 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

For the glass, if you set it to something other than 100% transparency, you will get those dots, and they will take longer to vanish. The reason is, if it's set to 98%, then 98% of the time, reflection and/or refraction occur (that's a glass property), and 2% of the time, diffusion occur (that's other than glass). The 2% is the diffused dots, because the medium is not 100% transparent and need to blend 2% of the surroundings with the 98% of the glass.

I always set my glass to 100% because anything else makes it look more "dirty" or foggy. But I guess it depend on the look you want.

If you use Raytrace mode and "Fast shadows" playing with the "Shadow intensity multiplier", you will get no dots at all in less than a minute. But the shadows will not look so real, but again, it depend on the look or if the shadows are "good enough".

Perhaps also add some shininess to the wood floor and wood ceiling? Say, Shininess=1.5 and Diffuse=0.01 just like the one on the photo?

Also, the green paint, I would maybe use a bump map that looks like sand paper if you want a rough appearance, but not if you want it smooth.

Here is one I use, it's a normal map, 512x512. So to use that with the green paint (or any meterial without a texture, just a color), create a 512x512 image of the green paint, just the color in this case, and save that. Then in the Sketchup material editor, use that image instead of the color, it'll look the same, but, in the Raylectron material editor, add the normal map to it, and set the bump level to 0.1 or more or whatever looks good for you. Perhaps even make it a bit shinny, say 0.3. You can make the grain smaller or bigger by setting the width of the image in the Sketchup material editor. You can't see it since it's green, but you'll have a good idea on the first render what size will look good.
Attachments
5984-normal.jpg
5984-normal.jpg (512 KiB) Viewed 42483 times
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

I made all the changes suggest. Had some shiny/diffuse on the floors and ceiling so i pumped it up more and made your recommendation changes to the paint. Worried the shinyness of the ceiling/floors will be too much. we'll see shortly.

Tried the normal map too.

will post an update soon.
Thanks again for your input!
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Just to give you an idea on the wood setting, I used Shininess=1 and Diffuse=0.01 and here is what it looks like using an environment map...
Material_Textured.png
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

OK, here is what I've got.

I'm re-rendering tonight and adjusting:

Ceiling (no bump)
Trim (Lowering gloss and bump)
Handrails (removing bump)
and i made the can lights actual can lights.

here's what i got from last night.
Attachments
Under Porch Image 003.jpg
Under Porch Image 003.jpg (179.07 KiB) Viewed 42456 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

oh wow, looks so much better the way you've set the shine! And I like the shingles on the wall. Nice work!
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

Thanks for the tips. I made changes throughout the day on it and ended up with a great rendering. I'm going to upload it to the user area as well I think.

It seems like these threads turn into a "how to improve it" thread every-time... and that is a GREAT thing. Except the tips are sometimes buried. I often find myself returning and re-reading these threads to find info :)

I'm resizing my image down because it seems like there is a maximum size for the window of the uploaded image.

i can upload a double sized version if you want :P
Attachments
Under Porch Image 005sm.jpg
Under Porch Image 005sm.jpg (197.76 KiB) Viewed 42447 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Dknight wrote:Thanks for the tips. I made changes throughout the day on it and ended up with a great rendering. I'm going to upload it to the user area as well I think.
It is really nice and looks so warm! Yes please do upload it to the user area.
Dknight wrote:It seems like these threads turn into a "how to improve it" thread every-time... and that is a GREAT thing. Except the tips are sometimes buried. I often find myself returning and re-reading these threads to find info :)
Didn't think about it this way, but you're right! It's hard to have those tips generalized as every render is different, colors, sun/sky, textures etc.
Dknight wrote:I'm resizing my image down because it seems like there is a maximum size for the window of the uploaded image.
It will take any size, but when it's too big, it lets you click on the image for the full size version.
Dknight wrote:I can upload a double sized version if you want :P
yes please, I'd like to see it big. I have a huge monitor, so everything looks smaller to start with.
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

It's re rendering again. i decided i disliked the ceiling. created a normal map (because just adding bump alone looked wrong).

so it's working away. I'll post it when its done!
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Bump without a normal map only works best when the texture has strong shades, like very dark lines or spots on a light surface, and not if the texture is nicely even in color.

Have you take a look at the Raylectron.com home page under "Compare with V-Ray"? Look at the second image, click on it to get a full size and look at the floor and ceiling wood texture. The bump level on it was only 0.08 and the Shinnines was 2 and the Diffuse was 0.005
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

I see it. I was looking for way more ... depth.

so i made a normal map. it worked well - you could argue i lower the bump a little. i slapped it with a 10. A 5 might have done as well with out so much emphasis...
Attachments
in progress.jpg
in progress.jpg (222.17 KiB) Viewed 42441 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

oh yes, I LIKE this one MUCH better! This looks really nice.

2421x1290? wow, that's a BIG render :lol:

Do you first try it at 800x687 or something like that just to get the settings right?
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

I actually did it smaller, and moved the camera to look at the ceiling directly.
let it run 2-3 minutes and then was satisfied.

but yeah, I pump em out big and re-size depending on how we'll use it.

I tend to let them run over night... they take a while. last one ran for 15 hours. this one will go till the end of day (and maybe longer) if it still needs more.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

We will be working on a "Render Selection" where you will be able to draw a rectangle over the area to render. This way, you can keep it big, no need to move the camera, and have a nice result quickly of the area of interest. What do you think?
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

i think that's great...

the only reason i moved the camera was to really see the boards. if i could window an area that would take care of that problem completely. I'd give that one a thumbs up!
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

Updated / Added the image in the user gallery. Post can be found here. Didnt seem logical to continue to update in 2 locations.

http://softbytelabs.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=152
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Yes indeed. I posted my comments on it. I see some shingles below the hadrails on the post, is it intentional? it kind of look like it's not suppose to be there.
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

if you mean the ones below the green columns, yes. those are shingled. I should have done a better job aligning the texture. I think when i replaced it, they adjusted themselves.

a few posts back is the actual in construction photo and they are there as well (to confirm this is what you're looking at).

thanks for the compliments!
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

ah ok, I didn't notice it on the photo. They just need to line-up as you said. I think you'll have one happy customer when he'll see this.

The furniture are ok, except the over-soften on the cushions that makes the shadows on them all wrong. It bugs me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

Support wrote:ah ok, I didn't notice it on the photo. They just need to line-up as you said. I think you'll have one happy customer when he'll see this.

The furniture are ok, except the over-soften on the cushions that makes the shadows on them all wrong. It bugs me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
lol...

True. I've not messed with it though since it didn't bother me for some reason :)

I'll fix it in the future.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

ok, I got crazy and made you a cushion for the rocking chair :mrgreen:

It's caved in a bit like someone had sit in it. The edges are round, not square like the original, and a little shinny/diffused as I assume it's some kind of plastic.

Here is the skp if you want to use it, and a screen shot.
Attachments
Chair_Rocking_Arts_Crafts.skp
(352.23 KiB) Downloaded 1278 times
Chair_Rocking_Arts_Crafts.png
Chair_Rocking_Arts_Crafts.png (269.24 KiB) Viewed 42423 times
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

made some minor changes (replaced the textures i used - then oriented them correctly for the wood grain).

I've added it.

Since i was doing it, i went ahead and fixed the wicker sofa and tables and added some texturing to the seat as well.

i'll repost when i have time to re-run the render in the gallery directory.

thanks!
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

Nice renderings. Thanks for sharing. And yes a "Select render Area" option would be a great add to have. It would be nice if it can just right click on the model view (model tab) and select "select render area".
Also got a question for both of you: Is there a SU plugin for making ornamental wood carving or plaster carving that gets applied on the wall surfaces? I checked both the Ruby Script Home site and Smustard and couldn't find anything.
Thank you both again,