SU plugin for making ornamental

Raylectron (https://Raylectron.com) is a 3D rendering engine for Trimble Sketchup (https://sketchup.com)
Support
Site Admin

SU plugin for making ornamental

Post by Support »

Nick1 wrote:Is there a SU plugin for making ornamental wood carving or plaster carving that gets applied on the wall surfaces? I checked both the Ruby Script Home site and Smustard and couldn't find anything.
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
Support
Site Admin

Re: SU plugin for making ornamental

Post by Support »

I haven't had any luck either Nick! Perhaps it's something we can do? Can you open a new thread for that subject only so we can elaborate and perhaps have a plugin made?
Your support team.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Nick1 wrote:Hi Michael,
We are currently working on a huge classical style mansion with lots of plaster/wood surface applied ornaments as you can see in the picture. I was wondering if there is a script that can turn bunch of curved lines into extruded forms with rounded or beveled edges. I remember I once noticed a plugin for doing stained glass windows and that could possibly work, but not only I can't find it again, I am not sure if it can actually does this for so many lines at once. So lets say we have about 20,30,40 or more small inter-weaved curved lines and you select them all and click the plugin and they all get extruded, rounded and or beveled at the same time. Or if there are any sites/vendors that one can download these 3D surface applied ornaments. I haven't checked 3d warehouse yet, but it would be nice to have a plugin to be able to do any combination of line diagrams.
Thanks much,
Attachments
picture.jpg
Your support team.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

I'm not sure what you mean Nick. Do you mean that you want to "elevate" the 2D surface into 3D? Maybe more examples or before and after kinda thing would make me understand :D
Your support team.
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

Yes. Exactly that, so each line represents the center line of the extruded shape or as you put it "elevated" shape so any curved line or straight for that matter, once clicked gets extruded/elevated vertical to the applied surface(in this case the wall), and the final shape now has a thickness and width, lets say the width would be anywhere from 1/2" to 1.5" and the height/thickness would be from 1/2" to 1.5" or more. Here is a sample model I did in SU and made the wood a bit transparent so you can see the original lines. The original lines of course should be on the walls(even though the curved lines are shown centered).
Thanks,
Attachments
Architectural Millwork-Motif.jpg
Architectural Millwork-Motif.jpg (219.97 KiB) Viewed 32491 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

I see what you mean. Do you have an actual one a can test with?
Your support team.
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

It can be any series of curved lines or shapes that make a motif around doors or windows or can also be applied to wall surfaces as ornaments or decorative moldings. Just like the first image I posted around the round window or both sides of the double door. We drew those lines and just mirrored them. I know there are too many lines and the reason being a 2d representation of it so we wanted them to stand out. When they get extruded or elevated, then they would have widths and heights and hence less need for original lines.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

oh ok, but can you just simply use the push/pull tool to elevate the areas?
Your support team.
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

Yes, in some cases if the shape is made up of closed lines and constitute a closed area, then we can just push/pull the shape and apply the beveling to it which of course is a tedious job again considering there are lots of them. However if the rest of the ornament is made up of relatively small curved lines which might not be connected to each other, then the push/pull doesn't apply since there is no face to start with. Even if there is a face that can be push/pulled for instance about an inch, the elevated/extruded shape still is not what I am talking about. Now one has to do the filleting and or beveling to the top edges and then that becomes a complete ornament shape or part of the main shape. When it comes to single curved lines, the script hopefully should give it some width and some height(like a polyline in autocad that you can give width to it) and tapered ends( not exactly what I posted of course), so the ends of the final shape (extruded line)has no width or height. You usually see these motifs on walls in old movies. I'll post a picture when I find one.
Thanks again,
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

i've head that small objects are difficult to work with.

and that sketchup can't handle it (not sure why).
the fix is to take it up by a scale of 10.

then do your work.
then shrink it back down by a scale of 10.

while it can't generate new things at that small of a scale, if things are shrunk, they don't get lost.
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

That could be one way of doing it but it is not an exact method since you can only be exact on the scale factor and not on what fillet radius or bevel setting your final model would have and since the dimensions are small already, sometimes the filleting or beveling delete part of the model.
Michael, here is a sample of an ornament piece I was talking about. This one is jus one of the 2 ornaments on the double door sides. You can unhide the other groups to see the whole door.
Thanks,
Attachments
Ornament.skp
(4.1 MiB) Downloaded 1882 times
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

Hi Michael,
Since working on the same object( doors and ornaments), I thought posting this here also. Here is my issue which might be very simple but I thought i should ask first. I assigned a wood material to the door frames and moldings and its rather a darker color as you can see in the SU material editor and also the SU UI. Why is it that when rendered, it is bright like this render? I initially set the sun/sky as default and then set both to 1 and still the same. Shouldn't it be darker? Also I made the glass as you had previously instructed and set all faces to default color>made a group> and then applied white color to group and set the opacity to 100%, but it looks as if there is no glass there! Is it because there is nothing in front or behind it? When I render the same thing in other apps, you can clearly see the glass.
Thanks much,
Attachments
door1.jpg
door1.jpg (601.71 KiB) Viewed 32469 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Nick1 wrote:Hi Michael,
Since working on the same object( doors and ornaments), I thought posting this here also. Here is my issue which might be very simple but I thought i should ask first. I assigned a wood material to the door frames and moldings and its rather a darker color as you can see in the SU material editor and also the SU UI. Why is it that when rendered, it is bright like this render? I initially set the sun/sky as default and then set both to 1 and still the same. Shouldn't it be darker? Also I made the glass as you had previously instructed and set all faces to default color>made a group> and then applied white color to group and set the opacity to 100%, but it looks as if there is no glass there! Is it because there is nothing in front or behind it? When I render the same thing in other apps, you can clearly see the glass.
Thanks much,

Hi Nick,

That's because you have Tone Mapping enabled. What it does is, it computes the brightest pixel, and then scale it to 1, and adjust the rest with the same scale. Because there is no bright light or anything, then it over expose if you like. Turn off tone mapping and it will look normal. You may have to set the Brightness or something.

I'm with the senior developer on your previous post about the ornaments...
Your support team.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

I forgot to answer about the glass. Yes, it's because there is nothing to reflect! Use an environment map and everything will look real nice, the glass and the wook too. Do you have some? oh, and if you do, set your wood to Shininess=0.5 and Diffuse=0.1, and that's will look superb.
Your support team.
Dknight

Post by Dknight »

i've found when using tone mapping, i turn my gamma to 1.0 as well.

this helps with that brightness and washed out feeling.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Nick1 wrote:That could be one way of doing it but it is not an exact method since you can only be exact on the scale factor and not on what fillet radius or bevel setting your final model would have and since the dimensions are small already, sometimes the filleting or beveling delete part of the model.
Michael, here is a sample of an ornament piece I was talking about. This one is jus one of the 2 ornaments on the double door sides. You can unhide the other groups to see the whole door.
Thanks,
Nick, there is nothing to unhide, can you re-post? We maybe able to do something, but I do need the finish product of that ornament so we can compare the 2D with the 3D and come up with something.
Your support team.
Nick1

Post by Nick1 »

Hi Michael,
Sorry, I think I posted the wrong one. However I don't have a 3d model of the decorative ornament. If I had the model or different ornament models, I probably wouldn't be asking for a possible script. What we drew in the cad drawings were just a 2d version of what I could remember the actual model looked like. So Here is where this special script(if possible at all) would come handy. One can create any motif whether as a closed polygon or bunch of unconnected curved lines and the script would give it width, height and tapering accordingly. So I for one, wouldn't need to download these decorative ornaments at 10-15 MB each every time. I can just create my own line drawing and the script will do the rest not to mention that most of the ones online are in Max format and one has to convert them to 3ds to be able to import them into SU. I just dowloaded one and converted it to an skp format. I'll attach it so you can work with it to see if you can come up with a 2d line drawing of it and then using the script to a 3d SU version of it.

On another note,
I did what you instructed as to un-checking map toning and etc... However the rendered image is still much lighter than the actual used wood texture.I lowered the sun and sky to 0.2 each and still the same light wood color. How can I get the same color tone in the rendering?
Attachments
Classical-1.skp
(16.27 MiB) Downloaded 2983 times