Shininess = 0.5
Use specular shininess = on
Your support team.
http://SoftByteLabs.com

Nick1

Re: Woods, like furnitures and flooring

Post by Nick1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:49 am

Hi Michael,
Have been trying to do a polished marble floor either as one texture for the whole floor or combination of few marble textures. I can't seem to get them shine or be reflective at all even after 30 minutes with my computer. Is there a specific setting for an interior shot for marble? I have tried several combinations of settings but to no avail. Attached please find the marble textures, however if you have some good marble textures and you don't mind sharing them, I would really appreciate that. I downloaded these ones from CG Texture site you mentioned once. There are only a few nice ones.
Thanks Michael,
Attachments
MarbleGreen0012_1_S.jpg
MarbleGreen0012_1_S.jpg (333.9 KiB) Viewed 22997 times
MarbleOther0005_S.jpg
MarbleOther0005_S.jpg (213.68 KiB) Viewed 22997 times

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Hi Nick,

You need to have something to reflect of the surface, in the opposite direction of the camera. For example, looking into a room, if there is a window at the back (or a wall light), the light from outside (or the wall light) will reflect off the floor, otherwise, there is nothing to reflect, unless you make the material mirror like. I don't have any nice ones, but here is a test I did using yours...

Diffuse = 0.01 (so it's not 100% mirror like)
Shininess = 0.1 (not too much!)

No bumps or anything else, and here is what I got, so you can see how it is affected...
testroom.png
testroom.png (687.96 KiB) Viewed 22994 times
testroom2.png
Artificial light illumination only
testroom2.png (514.74 KiB) Viewed 22995 times
Your support team.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks Michael,
I did the same thing or at least I thought I did and it wasn't reflecting at all. I'll try it once more.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 pm

So I tried two times. The first picture is with the settings you provided, and the second setting I set the Dif. to 0.03 and Shininess to o.2 and still no difference as far as reflectivity. Attached please find the skp test file and the two images. I think it all depends on what kind of computer you have and settings could be different with any computer. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Nick
Attachments
Test-2.jpg
Test-2.jpg (698.85 KiB) Viewed 22987 times
Test1.jpg
Test1.jpg (669.55 KiB) Viewed 22987 times
marble-test.skp
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1406 times

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:16 pm

No Nick, it has nothing to do with the computer. The problem is, you have this open wall where the camera is, so all the light goes in this way, and little from the windows. Also, the background images, you have not set them as "background" in the Raylectron material editor, so they block light, like a huge wall.

So here's what I did. I set the background material to "Background", then I closed the front wall and used the XRay-Level = 1 in Raylectron to render through it, and use Path tracing with sky only, and bingo, the floor is now shiny. I didn't change any of your settings. Here are some screen shot...
Marble-test.png
Marble-test.png (671.62 KiB) Viewed 22986 times
Marble-test2.png
Marble-test2.png (711.8 KiB) Viewed 22986 times
I've put in a floor lamp so we can see how shiny the floor is. All those lights on the ceiling will not make the floor shiny, unless the camera is over top looking down, but from this angle, you can't see the ceiling lights on the floor, even if it was a mirror.
Marble-test3.png
Marble-test3.png (664.88 KiB) Viewed 22986 times
And now, I've changed Color_D13 to shine = 0.5 and diffuse = 0.01, Color_D08 to shine = 0.5 and diffuse = 0, and moved the camera up and looking more down. Now you see what I mean, the round part of the floor is a bit mirror, and the rest is diffused but you can still see the illumination of the wall where the floor lamp sits. If this model would be an airport with lots of details all over the place, you'd see the shine because there is alot to shine off the floor.
Marble-test4.png
Marble-test4.png (707.35 KiB) Viewed 22986 times
Your support team.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks Michael for pointing that out. Completely forgot to assign the background image as background. However I have tried the x-ray couple of times with no success. Can you possibly provide a little video tutorial like previous times? It would be much easier once I actually see what needs to be done and how to go about it. It would be a great help. Also is it due to the marble material that it wouldn't produce reflection at the angle I had set the camera to? I know that would not be a problem with wood flooring since I have already done that with almost the same camera angle, so why is marble any different? I'll try it again with your new settings. Also how did you light up the floor lamp? Do you have 2 faces pointing at up and down directions? Finally please consider a tutorial video about how x-ray works and how to do it. :oops:
Thanks much Michael,
Just noticed your new web site and the little video. That was great. Is that all to the x-ray tool? It would have been even better if the video included audio explaining why one wants to change certain settings and what the advantages of that setting is compare to a lower or higher settings. If it has nothing to do with the computer, then what would be the best settings for a wood flooring or marble flooring or other materials for example. Maybe when you finally have Raylectron integrated materials, they would come with best possible settings as default.

Just watched all the videos on your site. they were great. Any chance for audio also?
Thanks

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi Nick,

Check out our site, under "Video Tutorials" and you'll have one for the X-Ray.

Marbles have a lot of patterns, and it's much harder to see the reflections. If you have a less detailed marble, you would see more.

The floor lamp light bulb is nothing but a small cube, grouped and a light material assigned to the group. That's why it's able to illuminate the bottom and the top.

Here's a test for your marble. Create a floor, say, 16' wide by 32' deep and create a wall 16' x 8' at the end of the floor. Now it looks like you can play ball on the wall (like when I did as a kid). Now, on that back wall, create a light and put it in the center, but 3' above the floor. Now render this and you'll see the light bulb on the marble floor, if you set the diffuse to 0. You can then use the Raylectron material editor (not in Sketchup), and adjust the diffuse and shine to what looks good for you, then you can use those settings in Sketchup.

Actually, here is the model of that test and a screen shot, diffuse = 0.005 and shine = 0.2

I've also unchecked "Artificial lights" and turned on "Environment map" and set the diffuse to 0 made a screen shot.
Attachments
ShineTest.png
ShineTest.png (325.31 KiB) Viewed 22974 times
ShineTest2.png
ShineTest2.png (525.28 KiB) Viewed 22974 times
ShineTest.skp
(356.58 KiB) Downloaded 1332 times
Your support team.

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:44 pm

Nick1 wrote: Just noticed your new web site and the little video. That was great. Is that all to the x-ray tool? It would have been even better if the video included audio explaining why one wants to change certain settings and what the advantages of that setting is compare to a lower or higher settings. If it has nothing to do with the computer, then what would be the best settings for a wood flooring or marble flooring or other materials for example. Maybe when you finally have Raylectron integrated materials, they would come with best possible settings as default.

Just watched all the videos on your site. they were great. Any chance for audio also?
Thanks
Yes Nick, that's all there is to the X-Ray.

No audio, because not everyone can understand (me LOL) but we have the full text above the video.

As for the shine and stuff, there is no standard settings because the shine for example will react different under different light conditions and may not give you the result you want. That's why it's best to play with it until you have it the way you want, and use that setting as a starting point. Like me for example, I use shine=0.1 and diffuse=0.01 most of the time, even for marbles, but for your marble, I'd use 0.5 for the shine and 0.001 for the diffuse. but again, that depend on how rough you want the surface to be, smooth as a mirror, use diffuse = 0, and for little roughness, use 0.005 or even 0.001
Your support team.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks Michael,
I placed 2 circular faces within the floor lamp shade one facing down and the other facing up but the result wasn't good at all. Now I know it is a cube. I'll try it. I saw all the other videos. They were great.

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

I sometimes make a sphere for a light bulb, but that slows down the render a bit, I think. So I now make a cube, much simpler!

I'm glade you like the videos. We're still going at it and will be adding to the list. If you think something is missing from that list, let me know. It's short now and much is missing, but we're working on it.
Your support team.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:45 pm

Just followed your instructions and the settings and finally I can see the marble reflecting. Of course the floor lamp is too high and the light intensity is a bit high also not to mention it is too close to the walls. But other than that it is starting to look ok. This one took 47 minutes up to this point. I had photon mode on with sun and sky and tone mapping on with br set to 2. It still looks grainy after 47 minutes. Maybe the ceiling lights don't count much and the graininess is due to the floor lamp being the only source of artificial light? Keep the videos coming.
Attachments
Marble-test.jpg
Marble-test.jpg (357.5 KiB) Viewed 22971 times

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm

Very clever, you found the floor lamp on the 3D warehouse right? was it all black too? :lol:

You're doing very good nick. I would use Path tracing instead of Photon because Photon is really used for caustics, like when rendering win glasses to get the special effect the glass produces, or a diamond ring, to see the effect of the diamond. Also, the more shiny objects you have, the longer it'll take, because it has to work twice as much.

Here is a render I did of a ballroom. The floor is set to shine=0.1 and diffuse=0.01, not that shiny, but you can see a bit the bright areas of the walls onto it.
Attachments
Ballroom.png
Ballrom rendered with Raylectron using Path tracing
Ballroom.png (727.65 KiB) Viewed 22970 times
Your support team.

Support
Site Admin

Post by Support » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 pm

BTW Nick, are you using the X-Ray? or you still have problem with that?

Also, try your marble at shine=0.5 and diffuse=0.001 it looks really nice and shiny! I've also 2x the sun/sky intensity from the original numbers.
Attachments
Marble-test.png
Marble-test.png (646.8 KiB) Viewed 22969 times
Your support team.

Nick1

Post by Nick1 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:17 am

Thanks Michael, I'll remember that. that is a nice shine now.