Files that confuse Comparator

This file synchronizer will generate a report of all differences between two drives/folders. This includes any missing files, modified files, duplicate files and duplicate files with date conflicts. it is ideal when comparing for example, your work files against a backup to make sure the backup is up to date.
Airyu

Files that confuse Comparator

Post by Airyu »

It seems that "illegal filenames", or filenames with certain Unicode character sets OR files that are in paths that will be "too long for the destination folder" can cause Comparator to go into a deep sleep for upwards of the time it took to do the original scan if you click "Copy Missing files to". The "Copying Files" message appears for a very short time, then disappears. Then Comparator goes to sleep ("Not Responding"). If windows is indicating this (I am warned by an error message if I do this manually, that's how I figured this out), let the user know.

Image files in my iTunes folder that look like CLSID names and some folders with many strange characters can cause this (Folder names like "SOURCE FILES = = = = (repository NCV) = = = =" etc..).

It also seems to happen after a normal copy process, but returns ready to do another search. If Comparator is re-scanning, you might want to note this in the bar where file names are displayed.

Otherwise, looks professional and clean. Simple to figure out.