Rendering size differences

Raylectron (https://Raylectron.com) is a 3D rendering engine for Trimble Sketchup (https://sketchup.com)
msa

Rendering size differences

Post by msa »

Hi Support,
Awesome renderer...getting to grips with it now, really first class results.
I do have a slight problem though. I find (SU)CH plugin for Sketchup invaluable for creating different masking channels. I take everything into Photoshop for adding entourage/landscaping etc using the masks to exactly select areas to adjust. The issue is in Raylectron although set exactly to match the (SU)CH export resolution it never saves the image to the same size. we've discussed this before, I've flicked the camera from 2 point to perspective until nothing changes, then saved the image but still Raylectron resolution size doesn't match Sketchup?
Attached are 4 screenshots;
1 = Sketchup export 2D option. In this instance set to 1502 x 853
2 = (SU)CH export masks set to 1502 x 853
These two images match exactly when layered in PS
3 = Raylectron resolution again set to 1502 x 853
4 = PS layer, note scale difference top right corner of roof, the Raylectron image, says 1502 x 853 but for some reason is slightly larger?

I can 'manually' stretch the images to the same size but I like the accuracy of exact layering...is this possible please.

Really looking forward to the continual development of your amazing software, any idea when V5 is out, I'd love to try the Beta if possible.
If its not too rude to make a small wishlist for future versions mine would be:
1. IES lighting
2. Channel exporter built in, like (SU)CH for Sketchup. Option to export render, flat colours, lights from within Raylectron.
3. Individual light 'sliders' adjustable after rendering, like Maxwell 'multilight'. Somehow each light source can be controlled after the render is complete and a virtual light switch slider lets each light go from off to on and everything in between. Great for rendering once then sliding the lights to create mood or even night shots...is this possible?

Thanks again.
regards
Mike
Attachments
4 PS.jpg
4 PS.jpg (843.09 KiB) Viewed 19854 times
msa

Re: Rendering size differences

Post by msa »

p.s. apologies, forgot to upload images individually...I'll try again.
Attachments
4 PS.jpg
4 PS.jpg (843.09 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
3 Raylectron Export.jpg
3 Raylectron Export.jpg (580.66 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
2 (SU)CH Export.jpg
2 (SU)CH Export.jpg (766.77 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
1 SU Export.jpg
1 SU Export.jpg (718.11 KiB) Viewed 19853 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Hi,

You need to first remove "Edges" and "Profiles", all of the items in that menu in Sketchup before you export it to 2D then it will match. (su)ch uses sketchup to export so the edges and profiles remain, in Raylectron, there is no such thing that's why you need to removed them in Sketchup. Are you also exporting the Raylectron image with transparent background? you should so that the antialias edges are not solid color and when you add a background, the edges will merge with it instead of being hard edges.

All your wish list will be in v5 :) and for lights, we will do it as well for the sun, sky and env. so you can control each individually while the render is going or when it's done.
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
msa

Post by msa »

Thank you Support :D
a very happy customer!
Any date yet for V5? I'm getting itchy just thinking about it.
Cheers
Mike
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Glad you're a happy customer and it will be more so with v5 :)
No ETA yet in it, but shouldn't be more than a couple of months.
Your support team.
msa

Post by msa »

:D Happy days...thanks
msa

Post by msa »

Hi Support,
Tried everything you've suggested, for some reason Sketchup and SU(CH) exports just don't match the Raylectron image. Same resolution, hidden lines/profiles, transparent backgrounds etc.
It's very nearly, almost an exact match but it isn't and it need to be. Driving me bonkers. Only way is to re-render in Raylectron and tinkering with the colours so I can isolate them in Photoshop...very laborious!

I really hope in V5 we can export from within Raylectron different channels, flat colours, lights etc. Until then I am going to have to lie down....please release it very quickly. :)

Thanks

Mike
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

It's weird because I just tested it and it is exactly the same as in Sketchup. Make sure you de-select everything under the Edge Style menu in Sketchup. Can you post the export from Sketchup and Raylectron so I can load them in an editor for comparison? But you have to make sure to de-select everything under the Edge Style menu first before you export to 2D.
Your support team.
msa

Post by msa »

Hi Support,

I've done a couple of test exports and tried to match them up as layers in PS. (Attached). I think the discrepancy comes from the 'jagged' edge of the pixels. All lines and profiles are off in SU and anti aliasing 'on' SU and Raylectron very slightly differ in how they interpret the pixels. Exact same resolution in SU and Raylectron 1500 x 897, (although Raylectron sometimes reduces the height by 1 pixel when you set your own view port and keep aspect ratio locked. For example type in 1500 and height sets at 896, unlock and overide aspect ratio and type in 897 to match SU. This happens sometimes, other times its the same as SU).

I tend to render with a 'flat' no texture green as my landscaping so I can select and delete it in PS and insert an image of real grass. Now I have a jagged edge that doesn't quite line up.

I think f you could introduce a channel exporter like SU(CH) within Raylectron and buttons to select monochrome, colour, alpha, shadows etc it would solve this problem?

Sorry to get so fussy.

Regards

Mike
Attachments
KFC Ray 1T.png
KFC Ray 1T.png (1.48 MiB) Viewed 19760 times
KFC Ray 1.png
KFC Ray 1.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 19760 times
KFC 1 SU.png
KFC 1 SU.png (504.61 KiB) Viewed 19760 times
KFC 1 SU Export.jpg
KFC 1 SU Export.jpg (549.89 KiB) Viewed 19760 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

awesome model and render by the way :)

It looks like your skp is not anti-aliasing all the way, have you set it to max in the preferences?

As for the grass, you can remove it altogether so that you have a transparent background instead, in fact, anything you will be replacing in PS should be removed so that the background is used as transparency. The reason is, if you select the green color in PS, the edges will be anti-aliased with the color of the edge it's connected with and it's no longer going to be green.

Even if we could export layers, putting them back together will give you the same result. I think you should try by first setting the SKP anti-alias to the max, then remove areas like the grass so that it's a background, then saving with a transparent background in Raylectron will give you full control. Did you know you can make real grass in Raylectron?

When you set the render size and keeping the aspect ratio, the +-1 is do to rounding errors, like 896.4938 so it makes it 896 not 897.
Your support team.
msa

Post by msa »

Thanks again.
I'll work on your advice.
Need to try rendering with an empty patch where my grass is going...in the past I've had to add a 'green' area as it is sometimes reflected in the window glass. Replacing this in PS with a real picture does take some delicate selection time but usually works. I tried grass in Raylectron but I had millions of faces and my computer moves like treacle at the best of times. Great with no light but as soon as I add emitters its like watching paint dry. Definitely saving up for a new system or I'll be 93 before the renders I want to do finish :(
Enjoy the day.
Mike
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Yes, on a slow computer you don't want to have too many faces! Aim for an Intel i7-5960X and you can OC it to 4.5ghz and you'll have super fast renders!
Your support team.