engineering department: main energy core

Dedicated to the Stargate Franchise
Okwa

engineering department: main energy core

Post by Okwa »

This image shows the interior of part of the main engineering department on board the IUSP ships. More precisely, these are the main energy sources in their technically latest form for cruisers and larger ship types. As with the command bridge, this room is essentially the same on corvettes, frigates and destroyers, only in smaller dimensions.These rooms, in which the energy sources of a spaceship as well as the associated peripherals (computers, control consoles, etc., peripherals mostly invisible because built into the walls and the false ceilings between the decks) are located, are called energy cores. This is therefore the main energy core of a USOC and IMC spaceship.

In the foreground of the picture are three control consoles used for routine daily control of the energy sources. These three consoles are separated from the energy generators in the energy core by a solid wall of TransArm. TransArm is a metal-polymer composite that is transparent like glass but is a high-quality metal alloy to military standards. In this way, the control consoles are protected in case of malfunction of the energy generators and ensure operability even in an emergency situation. Access to the energy core is through the two solid doors made of pure Naquadah.

As has always been the tradition on Union ships, the main energy core on the latest generation ships in the 4th century AJR also consists of several energy sources. The primary energy source is a ZPM-hub with three Union Arms ZPM-RE-1. Although reverse-engineered ZPMs are the strongest known energy source after the Alteran originals, the energy output of the ZPM-RE, i.e. the energy output per second, is nowhere near as great as that of the Alteran ZPMs. Therefore, three ZPM-RE-1s are needed to provide the required amount of energy for a ship the size of a cruiser, or larger. Around the ZPM hub, there are three control consoles that are used for direct maintenance and control work on the power generators and allow control from inside the power core.
Behind the ZPM-hub are three fusion reactors of Asgard origin, based on technology obtained by the Tau'ri from the Asgard in the 1st century AJR. On ships with a ZPM-RE-1 hub, these fusion reactors act as secondary main energy, supporting the primary main energy and compensating for the failure of the ZPM hub if it fails for any reason. On ships built before the development of the ZPM-RE-1, there are other fusion reactors in the this energy core instead of the ZPM-hub. Before the development of the ZPM-RE-1, power plant blocks were formed from up to 12 Asgard fusion reactors (depending on the size of the ship) and were the main energy.
To the left and right of the ZPM-hub and the control consoles, three Mk IXX Naquadah reactors can be seen respectively. They serve as a tertiary energy source here, while on ships without a ZPM-hub they serve as secondary energy.
The four remaining objects in the energy core are high-performance energy storage units based on crystals. They serve as an emergency energy reserve and to compensate for fluctuations in the energy grid, which can always occur despite all the sophisticated technologies.

I would also like to point out that the energy sources in the main energy core are only responsible for a minimal basic supply for the entire ship as well as for the energy supply of the hyperdrive system. This applies to the normal case as well as in case of failure of the primary main energy. Only when a ZPM hub is installed does the main energy core generate the energy for the entire ship alone.

In addition to the main energy core, every ship of the IUSP armed forces has at least 2 secondary energy cores (fleet carriers even have 50 secondary energy cores).
In addition, all critical systems such as life support, computers, shields and weapons have their own emergency power sources in the form of a smaller Naquadah reactor model, between Mk IX and Mk XIII units depending on the system, and two smaller high-power energy storage models.
Attachments
engineering department Energy core.jpg
engineering department Energy core.jpg (321.97 KiB) Viewed 1038 times
Support
Site Admin

Re: engineering department: main energy core

Post by Support »

Thank you for the education, learned a lot <3
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 am Thank you for the education, learned a lot <3
:D

Speaking of education. One question, as far as you know, is there an upper limit for objects/models in a scene that Raylectron can handle when rendering?
I tried to render the "other side" of this scene yesterday, i.e. the room of the engineering department that is "behind" the camera. In this process Raylectron crashed several times. And this although I had changed all other artificial light sources to the standard texture except for the ceiling lighting. And in the end I had not set anything except the ceiling lighting. But I have 120 models in the scene!
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

The only limitation is your system memory. When you say it crashed, what did it do? any error message?

Also, make sure OpenGL is not selected in the Options menu.
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:46 am The only limitation is your system memory. When you say it crashed, what did it do? any error message?

Also, make sure OpenGL is not selected in the Options menu.
Three times the programme simply froze when I wanted to set a texture as a light source. Twice the error message appeared or the question whether I wanted to "abort the process" (OK/Abort). Two more times the programme terminated by itself.
If I remember correctly, each time I was in the material tab just before the crash or wanted to switch there. Most often (4x) I wanted to edit the settings for the "artificial" light sources.

I now think I know what the problem was. I have got into the habit of always using the same file - now Raylectron.rof - for my projects. I have the feeling that such errors are more likely to occur if I do this frequently and also change the material settings for Raylectron more often.

I hope that what I have said is reasonably understandable. My English is not the best.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Your English is much better than my Frenglish :lol:

If you always use the same file name and edit the materials, then save the settings, next time it loads that file name, it will also load the settings, even for materials that no longer exists, it re-creates them internally. So over time, it is filled with junk! If you're going to re-use the same file name, when it loads, it should ask you if you want to load the settings, say no if it's a new model to prevent loading all that junk.
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:35 am Your English is much better than my Frenglish :lol:

If you always use the same file name and edit the materials, then save the settings, next time it loads that file name, it will also load the settings, even for materials that no longer exists, it re-creates them internally. So over time, it is filled with junk! If you're going to re-use the same file name, when it loads, it should ask you if you want to load the settings, say no if it's a new model to prevent loading all that junk.
:D
Raylectron asks every time which settings I want to load when I use the old file again.
In the meantime I have also finished the "problematic" scene. Wanted to post right away. After deleting the old file, including the associated folder with settings, and creating a new file, I suddenly had no more problems. Rendering was also faster.
From now on, I will get into the habit of deleting the files of finished projects and creating a new file.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

No need to delete anything, just click "Do Not Load Any Settings" and that would be the same as deleting everything. When you export from Sketchup, the ROF is replaced by a new one already so no need to delete that and the CFG will not load if you click no to load any settings from it, so that too is the same as deleting it.
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:50 am No need to delete anything, just click "Do Not Load Any Settings" and that would be the same as deleting everything. When you export from Sketchup, the ROF is replaced by a new one already so no need to delete that and the CFG will not load if you click no to load any settings from it, so that too is the same as deleting it.
Indeed.