Star Trek: Kobayashi Maru

Okwa

Star Trek: Kobayashi Maru

Post by Okwa »

I have adopted the "Kobayashi Maru Scenario" for my AU "Spherical Starfleet". Or rather, I explored the origin of this character test for Starfleet cadets in my AU. For those who don't know this AU yet: In this version of Star Trek history, Earth discovers that a spherical starship design makes warp drive much more efficient.

For those who are not so familiar with Star Trek. The "Kobayashi Maru Scenario" comes from the 2nd movie "Wrath of Khan". It is a simulation in which cadets, commanding a simulated starship, receive the distress call of the freighter "Kobayashi Maru", which is attacked by Klingon warships in the demilitarized Neutral Zone of the Klingon Empire. The cadets now have to decide what to do in this situation: ignore the distress call, as flying into the Neutral Zone could be seen as an act of war, help the freighter to the bitter end, or help the freighter, where the enemy are far superior in numbers, and flee at a certain point. No matter what they do, the computer simulating the test is programmed so that no matter what the cadet does, it is impossible to save the freighter or otherwise "win" the scenario. The purpose of this "no-win scenario" is to allow the Starfleet Academy officers observing the test to assess a cadet's strength of character and leadership qualities. BTW, Kirk is officially the only cadet who managed to win after all. Before his third run of the scenario, he reprogrammed the computer so that you could win after all. He received an award for his creativity. Even though he was criticized for not wanting to deal with his own mortality.

In my AU there were two ships of this name, whose fates, combined, result in the scenario of the character test:

In the first picture you can see the ECS(Earth-Cargo-Ship)-1022 "Kobayashi Maru" accompanied by the NX-1 "Enterprise", the flagship of the 1st Fleet of the "United Earth" Starfleet.
This "Kobayashi Maru" was a Class III cargo ship in the second half of the 22nd century, at the time of the Earth-Romulus War (2156-2160). During the war, the ECS "Kobayashi Maru" unintentionally ended up in a solar system that was considered particularly vulnerable to Romulan attacks due to a malfunction of the navigation computer. An attack was immediately launched by a numerically very strong Romulan battle group. The Enterprise and the 1st Fleet, which consisted of modern ships and responded to the distress call of the "Kobayashi Maru", were able to repel the Romulans relatively easily, as the Romulan fleet consisted only of older ship classes. Unlike in the scenario in which the "Kobayashi Maru" is guaranteed to be destroyed, the ECS "Kobayashi Maru" only suffers minor damage.

The second picture shows the second ship of this name, the SCS (Starfleet-Cargo-Ship)-1022 "Kobayashi Maru", This ship was named after the older ship and was a Neutronic fuel carrier during the Four-Year-War between the Federation and the Klingons (2236-2240). During the war, the SCS "Kobayashi Maru" was supposed to supply the ships of a front sector with fuel. Due to the heavy loss of Starfleet at that time, the "Kobayashi Maru" flew alone, protected only by a single Loknar-class frigate. Starfleet hoped that individual ships would have a better chance of getting through the enemy lines. But shortly after the start, an attack by Klingon warships occurred. Unlike in the familiar simulation, however, in which three D7 cruisers lead the attack, the historical attack was carried out by two R8 Raptors. These were nevertheless far superior to the Starfleet frigate, so that both Starfleet ships were destroyed.

From these two events, Starfleet created the well-known "Kobayashi Maru scenario" after the Four Year War, as it had become apparent during the war that Starfleet officers had had too little experience with potentially deadly situations in the decades of peace beforehand. This led to severe psychological problems for many officers, see the biography of the war hero Garth of Izar.

renders with Build 58.

@Support
Attachments
Kobayashi Maru (2).jpg
Kobayashi Maru (2).jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Kobayashi Maru SCS (I).jpg
Kobayashi Maru SCS (I).jpg (116.54 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Support
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek: Kobayashi Maru

Post by Support »

wow, I’m impressed by how you’ve used the spherical starship concept <3 The renders are super nice and to model these, wow, talented Chris :salute
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
BKilburn

Post by BKilburn »

Cool design and your composition (scene framing) and renders are really improving!
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:34 pm wow, I’m impressed by how you’ve used the spherical starship concept <3 The renders are super nice and to model these, wow, talented Chris :salute
Many thanks. Too much praise. :)
And praise back. Build 58 has turned out really well. Really fast and stable. :salute
BKilburn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:28 pm Cool design and your composition (scene framing) and renders are really improving!
Many Thanks. I hope so.
I should really get into the habit of always creating different versions and trying out more. That definitely improves the result.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Okwa wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:21 am Many thanks. Too much praise. :)
And praise back. Build 58 has turned out really well. Really fast and stable. :salute
Thank you for the feedback Chris :salute I'm very happy that build 58 is really fast and stable :excited:
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com