WIP: Spaceport

Okwa

WIP: Spaceport

Post by Okwa »

I always post a particularly complex, detailed picture for Christmas. Because of the amount of work involved, I always start in the spring with the respective picture for Christmas. This year it will be a spaceport with several buildings and vehicles. But I don't know yet for which franchise, Stargate or Star Trek.

This is just a first test with some buildings that have already been completed. The one in the back left is a terminal, the tall buildings are supposed to be hotels or something. The gray funnel-shaped buildings are control towers, grouped around one of the gates to the actual underground landing bays for the spaceships.

So far I'm in good spirits about finishing it by Christmas and I'm happy with the results so far. The only thing I'm a little worried about is the lawn. I have already limited the lawn area to the visible part of the site. And I've set the number of grasses high enough for the computer to handle without Raylectron crashing. There are now a total of 4 million grasses. I think I need to limit the area of the lawns even more.
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep.jpg (471.07 KiB) Viewed 483 times
BKilburn

Re: WIP: Spaceport

Post by BKilburn »

Cool design!

If I may suggest, I would get rid of the trees and try to make the repeating ground pattern less obvious.

If you can change those two things, it would look perfect!

I really do like the spaceport design!
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

WOW :o This is nice Chris, I LOVE the spaceport structure, super cool :salute :salute :salute

For the grass, use the asset not the grass texture as it creates individual blades. If you use the asset and load the tall grass (then right click you ground to ally it to the ground shape not flat), you can have 100,000 of them and it doesn't use much memory at all.
Your support team.
https://SoftByteLabs.com
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

BKilburn wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 pm Cool design!

If I may suggest, I would get rid of the trees and try to make the repeating ground pattern less obvious.

If you can change those two things, it would look perfect!

I really do like the spaceport design!
Many thanks. The repeating ground pattern was a mistake. Was originally even worse. I still have some work to do.
To be honest, the "forest" will become even denser. I want to create a park, plus some ponds. The scene will certainly change a lot. Especially if I can come up with a few more designs for buildings. Architecture is not exactly my strong point.
Support wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm WOW :o This is nice Chris, I LOVE the spaceport structure, super cool :salute :salute :salute

For the grass, use the asset not the grass texture as it creates individual blades. If you use the asset and load the tall grass (then right click you ground to ally it to the ground shape not flat), you can have 100,000 of them and it doesn't use much memory at all.
Many Thanks, Michael.
These are the grass assets, short grass and long grass. Just over 2 million each. I never use the grass texture unless I need a few blades for a close-up. But when I increased the assets to 4 million each and started rendering, Raylectron just turned off.
I just need to reduce the area with grass. I guess the area now is 4-5 times bigger than what you actually see.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

A few quick changes before I leave for the Easter vacation. Happy holidays to all.

@Support @BKilburn
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep.jpg (298.94 KiB) Viewed 464 times
BKilburn

Post by BKilburn »

Oh yes! Much better! Nice! :salute
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Yes, much nicer now :salute and Happy Easter to all :salute
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

@Support @BKilburn Another WIP of this scene. No big changes. I only added the pyramids and a few more trees. As well as changing the settings for one texture.
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep.jpg (394.37 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Another WIP picture. I've added some conventionally designed skyscrapers to the scene here. I'm thinking of replacing the "star-shaped" buildings, like the one in the front right of the picture, with these conventional skyscrapers. Small problem: I used two different texture settings for the "windows" of the skyscrapers. I know the difference is small. But now I don't know which setting I should use. What do you guys think? :D
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep.jpg (393.29 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep2.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep2.jpg (395.83 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

@Okwa 1. A like the pyramids but the color makes them look odd for some reason. They blend too much? 2. You said you added skyscrapers to the 2nd picture, but I fail to see them, all the buildings are the same in both. 3. Which windows? on the darker gray skyscrapers? they look black if those are windows and on the round shaped one close to the front, where are the windows :shock: :lol:

In all, I like it just the way it is Chris :salute
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:14 pm @Okwa 1. A like the pyramids but the color makes them look odd for some reason. They blend too much? 2. You said you added skyscrapers to the 2nd picture, but I fail to see them, all the buildings are the same in both. 3. Which windows? on the darker gray skyscrapers? they look black if those are windows and on the round shaped one close to the front, where are the windows :shock: :lol:

In all, I like it just the way it is Chris :salute
Many thanks, Michael.
1. I know what you mean. Strangely enough, I didn't do anything to the texture. Originally I had forgotten to define the turquoise areas as "windows". I mean, both shininess and reflection are set to 0, but when I set both values to my new setting for windows, I immediately noticed the difference. I then left it at 0 as it looks to me as if the windows are lit from the inside.

2. OMG That can't be true. Honestly, I just had to search for the houses myself. And I know where the skyscrapers are. :shock: These buildings have been added to both new pictures. You can only see the difference when you compare these two pictures with the ones posted before.
So, In the middle of the picture is one of the gray buildings that narrows towards the bottom. These are the towers of the air traffic control center. Directly behind the tower in the middle you can see an angular building towering over the gray tower. Basically a rectangle with white and yellow stripes. This is one of the two new skyscrapers.

3. No, I mean the windows of the angular building behind the gray tower. On picture 1 they look more yellow, on picture 2 more golden. On one picture I left the setting for the texture at 0, as with the pyramids (I had hoped to achieve the same effect as with the windows of the pyramids), on the other the texture is set to my standard setting for windows.
And what a mess, I've forgotten which setting I used on which picture. :oops: :lol:

BTW, on the other buildings, the round ones, the golden stripes are supposed to be the windows. I think I'm going to adjust that again.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

@Okwa oh! now I see it, I thought it was only added to the last, not both :lol:

For windows that we don't want to see inside, I make them transparent=0 and shine=10 and color=black, which is the same as selecting the Architectual Glass. maybe give that a try? even with other colors, but the brighter the color, the less reflection you 'll get, that's why I use black.

For the pyramid glass to be illuminated, maybe group all of their faces into one group and make it an emitter? this will only add one light by grouping all the faces into one.
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:59 pm @Okwa oh! now I see it, I thought it was only added to the last, not both :lol:

For windows that we don't want to see inside, I make them transparent=0 and shine=10 and color=black, which is the same as selecting the Architectual Glass. maybe give that a try? even with other colors, but the brighter the color, the less reflection you 'll get, that's why I use black.

For the pyramid glass to be illuminated, maybe group all of their faces into one group and make it an emitter? this will only add one light by grouping all the faces into one.
Yes, I'll give Architectual Glass a try.

I find it particularly fascinating that this effect only occurs when I don't edit the texture any further. It is only the Sketchup color. Everything is set to 0. As soon as I adjust the shinissand reflection, the effect is gone.
I think your suggestion would produce too uniform an effect. But I will try it out anyway.
BTW, the windows are a single colored surface. The cutoffs of the windows are a framework placed over the pyramid that I created with Tubify. Underneath, the pyramid is just completely turquoise, apart from the top 10%. :lol:
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Okwa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 am I find it particularly fascinating that this effect only occurs when I don't edit the texture any further. It is only the Sketchup color. Everything is set to 0. As soon as I adjust the shinissand reflection, the effect is gone.
What effect Chris :?:
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:56 pm
Okwa wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:49 am I find it particularly fascinating that this effect only occurs when I don't edit the texture any further. It is only the Sketchup color. Everything is set to 0. As soon as I adjust the shinissand reflection, the effect is gone.
What effect Chris :?:
Mmmh, am I just seeing that? When I look at the third pyramid from the left, in the middle of the picture, behind the second pyramid from the left, I see differences in the brightness of the turquoise stripes. As if there was light on in one floor and not in the one above. I can see this particularly in the middle section of this pyramid. This visual difference is not so clear in the other pyramids. Nevertheless, it looks as if the light is on on the floors. I think this optical illusion is caused by the reflections of the white walls of the pyramids (reflection setting is 50 for all the house wall texture). But I don't see this optical illusion if I set the values for shininess and reflection for the turquoise stripes to greater than 0.

Let me render the image with different settings for the turquoise stripes. Then you'll see better what I mean.
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 am Mmmh, am I just seeing that? When I look at the third pyramid from the left, in the middle of the picture, behind the second pyramid from the left, I see differences in the brightness of the turquoise stripes. As if there was light on in one floor and not in the one above. I can see this particularly in the middle section of this pyramid. This visual difference is not so clear in the other pyramids. Nevertheless, it looks as if the light is on on the floors. I think this optical illusion is caused by the reflections of the white walls of the pyramids (reflection setting is 50 for all the house wall texture). But I don't see this optical illusion if I set the values for shininess and reflection for the turquoise stripes to greater than 0.

Let me render the image with different settings for the turquoise stripes. Then you'll see better what I mean.
I see different shade of stripes, but I thought this is how you had it. Can you make a closeup render so I can see how the pyramid looks like? Is the turquoise texture an emitter?
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 1:25 am
Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:48 am Mmmh, am I just seeing that? When I look at the third pyramid from the left, in the middle of the picture, behind the second pyramid from the left, I see differences in the brightness of the turquoise stripes. As if there was light on in one floor and not in the one above. I can see this particularly in the middle section of this pyramid. This visual difference is not so clear in the other pyramids. Nevertheless, it looks as if the light is on on the floors. I think this optical illusion is caused by the reflections of the white walls of the pyramids (reflection setting is 50 for all the house wall texture). But I don't see this optical illusion if I set the values for shininess and reflection for the turquoise stripes to greater than 0.

I see different shade of stripes, but I thought this is how you had it. Can you make a closeup render so I can see how the pyramid looks like? Is the turquoise texture an emitter?
No, they are not emitters. Pure color. No texture adjustment. I have not set anything for the turquoise stripes. So I think it's actually reflections from the white outer wall of the pyramid.

Sure, no problem. I'll create a close-up of the pyramids. I'm also currently creating a version in which I set the turquoise stripes to my personal texture setting for windows (transparent = 0, shine = 10, reflection = 80) :)
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:00 am No, they are not emitters. Pure color. No texture adjustment. I have not set anything for the turquoise stripes. So I think it's actually reflections from the white outer wall of the pyramid.
ok, I got to see the geometry for this because it's not the reflections from the white outer wall.
Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:00 am Sure, no problem. I'll create a close-up of the pyramids. I'm also currently creating a version in which I set the turquoise stripes to my personal texture setting for windows (transparent = 0, shine = 10, reflection = 80) :)
:salute
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:07 am
Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:00 am No, they are not emitters. Pure color. No texture adjustment. I have not set anything for the turquoise stripes. So I think it's actually reflections from the white outer wall of the pyramid.
ok, I got to see the geometry for this because it's not the reflections from the white outer wall.
Okwa wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:00 am Sure, no problem. I'll create a close-up of the pyramids. I'm also currently creating a version in which I set the turquoise stripes to my personal texture setting for windows (transparent = 0, shine = 10, reflection = 80) :)
:salute
So, here's a close-up of the pyramid, of the pyramid to be precise, where the effect was best visible. As you can see, you can't see anything in the close-up. I emphasize that nothing has changed except the camera angle.

I have also added a screenshot from Sketchup. I think you should be able to see better on the screenshot how I created the "windows": Created a pyramid, colored the bottom 90% turquoise, then I made a line once every 4m around the pyramid. Then created a corresponding framework with Tubify, the segments in Tubify are set to 4. Finally, the framework is placed over the pyramid. :D
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep close up.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep close up.jpg (369.58 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep Pyramide.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep Pyramide.jpg (686.89 KiB) Viewed 239 times
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

@Support And in this version of the scene, I used the "Glass, Architektural" setting you suggested for the windows. For the pyramids, however, I used my personal window glass setting. :)
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep black windows.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep black windows.jpg (400.73 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

Now they look good. What was your Lighting settings for the ones that looked weird? I'm still puzzling over this.
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

@Support So, I've replaced the strange star-shaped towers with conventional skyscrapers. And I went back to the previous setting for the turquoise windows. I think the effect is just too cool. I went even further and gave the new buildings the same "windows" as the pyramids. In the hope that this effect will also appear here. It does. :excited: Depending on the distance, as you can see from the building at the front right. :)

The light setting for the scene is always the same:
Setting for the sun: time zone: -4, time: 6 pm, date: March 28th.
Setting for the clouds (I think they also have a certain influence): Cumulus clouds: 0.4, Nimbus clouds: 1, Clustering: 1, all other settings: 0
And just in case, the birds: Number: 50, Seed: 0.

As I said, in all previous renderings of the scene I noticed that the effect is strongly dependent on the distance of the model from the camera, as well as the position. That reminds me, I've never tried to see if anything changes when I change the sun settings. I'll try that next! :lol:
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep new buildings.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep new buildings.jpg (392.72 KiB) Viewed 219 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

@Okwa This looks really nice :salute Maybe the stripes are blending too much because of the distance? How many samples did you let it render?
Your support team.
Okwa

Post by Okwa »

Support wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:30 am @Okwa This looks really nice :salute Maybe the stripes are blending too much because of the distance? How many samples did you let it render?
100 Sample. I also think that at the distance either the stripes blend or are overexposed. I have played with the settings that influence the light. All images are rendered with 40 samples:
For the top image, I set the time from 6 pm to 12 pm
For the middle image, I changed the nimbus cloud setting from 1 to 0.
For the bottom image, I have set both previous settings together plus the time zone from -4 to 1. :)
Attachments
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep 12 pm.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep 12 pm.jpg (439.11 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep without Nimbus clouds.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep without Nimbus clouds.jpg (409.19 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep time zone 1, 12 pm, no nimbus, june.jpg
Spaceport Iari'Mhatep time zone 1, 12 pm, no nimbus, june.jpg (431.49 KiB) Viewed 190 times
Support
Site Admin

Post by Support »

@Okwa oh I see what it is now. The glass are rendered properly, it's the effect that that trick the eyes. I downloaded the picture so I can view it in the picture viewer and zoomed on it. What I saw is the tubes that create a small shadow on the glass, and at that distance, the shadow is half the size of the glass, so you get 3 colors, the tube, the glass and the shadowed glass, so from a distance like this, it creates that weird effect and from rendering it closer, it doesn't.
Your support team.